ZocdocAnswersI have a knot on my head that has been there for over 10 years, but seems to be getting bigger. What should I do?

Question

I have a knot on my head that has been there for over 10 years, but seems to be getting bigger. What should I do?

Twice now doctors have told me not to worry about the bump (the last one to say so was about 8 year ago). Is this something I should have a doctor look at again as it seems to be growing?

Answer

Subcutaneous masses -- or "knots" that are located in the skin or soft tissue are a common problem. Many people have this problem, and it is difficult to determine what to do with these. I would recommend that you discuss with your doctor again. First of all, a doctor is needed to determine what this knot is. From your description, this is likely from the soft tissue. However, it is possible that it is a bone protrusion. The cause would be different from the two. Assuming this is a subcutaneous nodule, most of these are simply non-cancerous growths. Often these are not worrisome. Lipomas are the most common version of theses -- which is simply just a small overgrowth of the fat cells. They do not need to be removed, but can be by a surgeon for aesthetic reasons. That being said, the only way to know for certain what a mass is is to remove some or all of it and look at the cells under a microscope. It is possible that there are some cancers that look like this, but it would be very rare. I would recommend seeing your doctor again who can examine it and discuss options. Good luck!