ZocdocAnswersCan Lupus Erythematosus cause joint pain?

Question

Can Lupus Erythematosus cause joint pain?

I'm 24 and recently started having very bad reactions to the sun. My doctor said it was lupus. Does this mean I will get other symptoms like joint pain?

Answer

The short answer to you question is yes, lupus erythematosus can cause joint pain. The diagnosis of lupus is complex, and involves a lot more than just a bad reaction to the sun. Lupus erythematosus is actually a collection of a few related disorders that can have different symptoms. One key part of the diagnosis is the presence of an abnormal antibody in your blood called the anti-nuclear antibody. In order for your doctor to make this diagnosis, he or she would have had to draw blood work that detected this antibody. One of the common types of lupus erythematosus is is systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). This type of lupus requires four different signs or symptoms be present along with the anti-nuclear antibody. This diagnosis will carry different implications to your health than say discoid lupus erythematosis, another diagnosis. The bottom line is that you need to know more information about what you have before you can know what to look for in terms of new symptoms. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a rheumatologist. A rheumatologist is an expert in treating patients with this disease. This doctor will know what types of blood tests to order and what symptoms to look out for. In addition, you can be started on advanced effective treatment if necessary.