ZocdocAnswersDo cell phone cause male infertility?

Question

Do cell phone cause male infertility?

I am 20 and worried I shouldn't keep my cell in my pants pocket. Is there evidence about this?

Answer

I have good news; there is no evidence that cell phones can cause male infertility. The thought that this may be true may stem from a disproved theory that emerged back in the 1980s that cell phone use was going to increase the rates of brain tumors. This theory was based on the notion that since a cell phone used radiowave radiation, and that cell phones were kept close to the head, that this would cause the development of more tumors. This turned out to be false. The reason that cell phones will not cause this type of harm has to do with the type of radiation (radio waves) they use. The type of radiation used by cell phones does not have the ability to cause DNA damage. Because of this, there is no way for them to cause any damage to your testicles or any other organ. There are many things in this world that can be detrimental to your health and can effect your fertility. Thus, I would encourage you to get regular checkups with a primary care physician. You should schedule an appointment with either a family doctor or internal medicine doctor today. He or she can review with you things you can do to keep yourself fertile and healthy.