ZocdocAnswersIs maxillofacial surgery used to treat jaw diseases?

Question

Is maxillofacial surgery used to treat jaw diseases?

If not, what are the options?

Answer

The answer to your question depends on what type of jaw disease you have or are worried you have. A maxillofacial surgeon is a dentist that has done extra years of training to perform operations on the jaw. Many of their operations deal with jaw misalignment. For example, often an overbite or underbite that cannot be corrected through braces must be corrected with a surgical procedure on the jaw. Another jaw condition that can be helped by a maxillofacial surgeon is temporo-mandibular joint problems (known as just TMJ sometimes). This causes pain right next to the ear where the jaw bone meets the scull bone. Problems with this joint can cause pain with chewing and/or headaches. A maxillofacial surgeon may be involved in the treatment of TMJ. I can't tell from your question what symptoms you are having with your jaw. Thus, I will ask that you schedule an appointment with your dentist so that you can have an examination. If your dentist thinks that you problem is a surgical problem, then he or she will refer you to a maxillofacial surgeon. If your problem is not because of a surgical problem then you may need referral elsewhere, or treatment from your dentist. Good luck.