ZocdocAnswersIs a medication review needed for women who are on birth control pills?

Question

Is a medication review needed for women who are on birth control pills?

I am about to start taking medication to lower my cholesterol. Will I need to take different medication if I go back on birth control pills? I am 29.

Answer

There are a few things that you should think about. For one, did you ever have an adverse reaction to birth control pills in the past, such as rash? What other medical problems do you have other than high cholesterol. Have you had a history of blood clots in your legs or unexplained clotting or bleeding problems in the past? These are all important things to note and discuss with your primary care doctor. Along with your medical history and presenting symptoms, will be able to decide upon the appropriate medication changes if deemed medically necessary. Unfortunately, it is difficult to evaluate you and decide upon any changes to your medication regimen over the internet. In general, birth control pills place you at higher risks for blood clot development and so it is important to evaluate your other medications to ensure there are no synergistic effects between your medications. Birth control pills also have a variety of other side effects and so it is important that you discuss this with your primary care doctor who will best be able to evaluate and modify your current medication regimen.