ZocdocAnswersAre menopause consultations suggested if I've stopped having periods?

Question

Are menopause consultations suggested if I've stopped having periods?

I stopped having periods years ago and never got a consultation. Should I get one now?

Answer

A menopause consultation is a doctor's visit (with either an OBGYN or primary care physician) that is set up to discuss concerns and symptoms that occur in and around the time of menopause. The answer to your specific question of "if I should have a consultation" depends on your age, and whether or not you are having any symptoms. If you stopped getting your periods between the ages of 45 and 55, and you had no concerning symptoms such as vaginal dryness, hot flashes, or insomnia, then it is probably fine for you to continue having routine visits with your primary care physician. If you are having any of the before mentioned symptoms, of if you have any other concerns about menopause, then it may be a good idea for you to have a menopause consultation. If you still have a relationship with your OBGYN, then I suggest that you schedule an appointment. If you don't have a relationship with an OBGYN anymore, then you should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss any symptoms you are having. If your periods stopped years ago, and you are doing fine otherwise, then you and your doctor can focus on the health care maintenance issues that are important for post-menopausal women.