ZocdocAnswersDo I need a menopause follow up?

Question

Do I need a menopause follow up?

Why do women get menopause follow ups? My period stopped a while back and I feel fine.

Answer

A menopause consultation is a visit with your doctor (usually your OBGYN or primary care physician), to discuss symptoms you may be having, and what additional parts of your general health maintenance are important after menopause. If your period stopped between the ages of 45 and 55, then most likely this represents normal menopause. Periods stop for other reasons too and thus, some doctors like to measure hormone levels to be sure that menopause has occurred. Some women also experience symptoms during menopause that prevent them from doing the things they like to do. For example, hot flashes are a symptom that many women find tough to deal with. In certain cases, a short course of hormone replacement therapy can be helpful. After menopause, there are certain other health concerns that become more prominent. For example, women that develop coronary artery disease and heart attacks almost always develop them after menopause. Thus, after the change, your doctor will likely want to make sure that your blood pressure and cholesterol levels are controlled even more than before. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN or primary care physician, whoever you would like to see going forward. He or she will ask you about any symptoms you are having and make sure that you general health care checkup is up to date.