ZocdocAnswersHow should I talk to my gynecologist about my menstrual problems?

Question

How should I talk to my gynecologist about my menstrual problems?

I am shy and do not know how to bring up the issue. I bleed for at least 10 days each month. This does not seem normal.

Answer

It is very important to have a gynecologist that you feel comfortable with as you need to be able to discuss worrisome symptoms without feeling embarrassed. Although you may not be comfortable discussing your menstrual cycle and symptoms with your doctor, you must do it as bleeding for that long every month can sometimes be a sign of a serious problem which definitely needs further evaluation. Also, with that much bleeding it is possible that you are becoming anemic (having a low blood count) which can cause you to feel tired, weak, pale, and even short of breath. It may be helpful for you to write down all your symptoms or a list of questions to ask your gynecologist so that way you can just hand over the list if you become flustered or are too embarrassed to say them out loud. Your gynecologist should make every effort to help you feel at ease and work on communication. Try taking a deep breath and reminding yourself that your doctor deals with these types of problems every day and that is what they have trained in so you do not need to feel shy or embarrassed. Good luck!