ZocdocAnswersWhat will they check for at my minimally invasive bypass follow up?

Question

What will they check for at my minimally invasive bypass follow up?

Do you think they will perform an MRI or take a scan of my heart?

Answer

Follow up from a major cardiac surgery can be complex. Often, the follow up is tailored based on your specific condition and complications. I would recommend that you discuss this with your cardiac surgeon as well as your cardiologist. Both types of doctors should be seen after the operation in order to provide comprehensive care. When you see your cardiac surgeon after follow up -- they will check to make sure that the surgery went well. Through discussion with you regarding symptoms as well as a physical exam, they will make sure the incision (in the heart and leg) looks like it is healing and that your heart is functioning normally. Most likely lab studies will also be checked to make sure your kidneys, liver and blood counts are normal. They will also make sure you are taking the right medicines, so make sure you bring an up to date list or the pill bottles themselves. Most surgeons will also ask for an echocardiogram or ultrasound of the heart at some point (either before or after). This shows how your heart is function (and is better than and MRI or other scan). Often follow up is relatively brief. You will ultimately need to follow up with a cardiologist, who will follow your condition more long term. Good luck!