Is it safe to do an MRI scan on my brain?

I am having speech problems and my doctor suggested an MRI. I am 26. Should I do this?
A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) study is a very safe imaging study. It is often used to take a good look at the overall structure of the brain, and doctors often recommend the study if there is a neurological symptom, such as weakness, trouble with speech, etc in order to make sure there is not a serious problem in the brain that could be causing the symptoms. An MRI study does not use any radiation, therefore there are no risks of being exposed to radiation or contracting cancer from the MRI study. The main drawback to the MRI study is that it requires you to lie still in a small machine for a while, so it can sometimes be difficult for people who suffer from anxiety or claustrophobia. However, if this is not you, then you can safely undergo the test without any fears. The other reason you might not be able to have an MRI would be if you have any metal in your body (from prior orthopedic procedures, for example) as the MRI uses a strong magnet. After you have the MRI study done, your doctor will want to review the results with you and will tell you if anything serious is detected. Please talk to your doctor for more information.

Nearby Radiologists

Other Radiologists

• Dr. Sasan Azar
    Dr. Sasan Azar MD
    Radiologist
    92-11 Roosevelt Avenue
    Jackson Heights, NY 11372