ZocdocAnswersIs muscle pain related to a lack of sleep?

Question

Is muscle pain related to a lack of sleep?

I really enjoy working out every day but I only get about five hours of sleep a night. I am 25 and this method worked for me until I started working out so much. Do you have any tips?

Answer

I am concerned about your lack of sleep, but I don't think that it is related to your muscle pains. Most symptoms of sleep loss are neurological, not muscular. The muscle pain will have to be worked up separately. Thus, there may be more than one doctor that you will need to see. Multiple studies have shown the detrimental effects of sleep deprivation. We now know that on average most people need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night in order for their brains to function at 100%. When people only get 6 hours of sleep, their mental function declines some and its even worse with only 5 hours of sleep. Thus, I think the most important thing you can do for your health right now is try to work at least 2 more hours of sleep into your schedule. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your sleep issues and come up with a plan for you to get more sleep. If the problem is initiating sleep, then a sleep aide medication may help. If the problem is frequent awakenings, then the two of you need to discuss other symptoms you may be having. After that, you can discuss your muscle pain to see if this represents anything that needs worked up. Good luck.