Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Can Myasthenia Gravis cause my eyelids to flutter?

I am a 30 year old male and my eyelids have started fluttering like crazy. Is this Myasthenia Gravis.
Myasthenia Gravis is a disease in which the body's immune system attacks the junction between muscles and the nerves that control them. The symptoms of myasthenia gravis include muscle weakness and accelerated fatigue. Just about any muscle in the body can be affected. Usually the first muscle that is effected is the muscle that holds the eyelid up. Thus, the first sign of the disease can be eyelid drooping which occurs after a certain amount of time where the eyes are kept open. An example is eyelid fatigue while reading. Other symptoms include symptoms associated with weakness of other muscles. When the diaphragm muscle is effected, there is a risk that the effected person will suffocate because of the in ability to breath in. Eyelid fluttering is not usually symptom of myasthenia gravis. What you are describing is called blepharospasm (spasming of the eyelid muscle). This can be caused by abnormalities of chemicals in the blood, or can be caused by simple eyelid fatigue. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. This is the only way you can be sure that your eyelid fluttering is a benign symptom. He or she will be able to listen to your symptoms and perform a comprehensive physical exam. From there your doctor can decide if any additional evaluation or treatment is necessary.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N