ZocdocAnswersCan I develop nail problems by getting a manicure?

Question

Can I develop nail problems by getting a manicure?

I am a 31-year-old woman and I enjoy getting manicures. Unfortunately, I am now experiencing a strange discoloration on my nails since my last one. What could be wrong?

Answer

Manicures are usually a safe relaxing way to get some pampering and make your nails look great. However, getting manicures to often, or having a manicurist who is over-zealous with your nails can cause problems. Also if you are getting acrylics these can cause problems with the health of your nails. It is important to make sure you are going to a reputable nail salon as well to be sure that they are appropriately sterilizing all their tools and equipment to reduce the chance of infection. Discoloration of your nails can be the result of many things, ranging from benign to more serious. A common cause of discoloration of nails is from wearing nail polish. This can be from the polish itself or as a result of your nails never getting exposure to air so you might want to take a break from polish for a period of time. Another possible cause of discoloration is due to toe fungus which is very common but can be difficult to treat. If the discoloration is dark it is possible that it is from an injury that you don't remember. Although most causes of discoloration of your nails are harmless, it is best to check with your primary care provider if the problem does not resolve.