ZocdocAnswersCan I bring a family member to my neck oncology consultation?

Question

Can I bring a family member to my neck oncology consultation?

I am a 40 year old male and wish to bring my wife to my consultation. Is this acceptable?

Answer

Yes. It is not only acceptable, but often encouraged. As a patient, you have the complete right to have your friends and/or family members be involved in your care to the extent that you desire. Family members provide comfort and support and can help make decision or understand your options when talking to your doctor. The reverse is also true. If you wish to have nobody but yourself involved in your care (including keeping friends and/or family from knowing anything), you have the right to do so. That being said, it sounds like you wish your wife to be involved in your care which is usually very beneficial. Be sure to discuss all of your options with your doctor at your appointment. If you do not understand something that he or she is saying ask to rephrase. Make sure your wife is also on the same page and that all of her questions are also answered. All healthcare decisions should be made with complete information in hand and with all options available discussed. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you feel that something doesn't sound right. You are the patient and you have the right to know your options and decide on them once you are fully informed.