ZocdocAnswersWhat material will they supply me with at my neck surgery consultation?

Question

What material will they supply me with at my neck surgery consultation?

Are there books I should read? Pamphlets? Anything?

Answer

The first appointment at a surgery consultation is designed to educate you on everything you will need to know before undergoing the surgery. There may be a lot of information, and certainly some of it will be written up. If the neck surgery that you are undergoing is a common operation, then it is possible that the surgical group you have chosen will have a pamphlet written up to explain some of the details. They will probably not have any books that they will recommend. The appointment will consist of you meeting with a nurse, possibly a physician's assistant, and the surgeon him(her)self. They will discuss with you the details of the surgery and all of the risks and benefits you should expect by choosing to undergo the operation. You may also agree on a date for the surgery. In some cases, the surgeon will request a consultation with a medical doctor to make sure that you are healthy enough for the operation. I suggest that you schedule your appointment with the surgeon. Most neck surgeons are ear nose and throat doctors. I also suggest that you bring a friend or family member with your to the consultation. This way you can be sure that someone else is listening to the information you are being given. Good luck.