ZocdocAnswersWhat will a nephrological consultation tell me about renal failure?

Question

What will a nephrological consultation tell me about renal failure?

My father is scheduled to have one. We would both like supplemental information, particularly about renal failure. What shuold we know beforehand? What should we be prepared for?

Answer

Nephrologists are physicians who specialize in the kidneys and the various diseases and disorders that can affect kidney function. It sounds as though there is some concern that your father may be suffering from kidney failure, hence the referral to the nephrologist. This appointment will be the best way for both of you to obtain more information about your father's renal health and what might be going on with his kidneys. There are many different diseases that can affect the kidneys, and renal failure affects a large number of people. It is important for you to know that the term 'renal failure' does encompass a wide range of conditions and that contrary to what the term implies in English, this does not necessarily mean that your father's kidneys are due to stop working any minute. The health changes caused by renal failure and what can be done to treat it often depend very much on the cause. For this reason, the nephrology consultation is the best place to start when it comes to getting more information. Many physicians' offices will have patient handouts to help explain different conditions in more detail. In addition, once you have discussed exactly what kind of renal disease your father has, it will be much easier for you both to use reputable sites on the internet to learn more. Overall, you should simply be prepared to answer questions (and ask them!) at the consultation appointment.