What's the purpose of a neuro-oncology consultation?

My father has a small, benign brain tumor. We have to go through this consultation process. What should we expect to learn.
First of all, I am sorry to hear that you father has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Fortunately the tumor is benign. However, having a benign tumor in the brain is not the same as having a benign tumor anywhere else in the body. This is because even a benign tumor can grow in the brain and can compress or distort essential brain structures, leading to symptoms that can be debilitating or life threatening. Neuro oncologists are doctors who are specially trained in the treatment of tumors of the brain, whether they are benign or malignant. At the neuro oncology consultation, you can expect that the team of neuro oncology doctors will carefully review any brain imaging studies that led to the diagnosis of the tumor. They will also perform a careful physical examination to determine what, if any, symptoms your father has. Based on these finding, they will be able to provide you some information on what type of tumor they think this is and whether or not it might require treatment. Treatments for brain tumors can include observation alone (if they are small and benign and without symptoms), chemotherapy, or even surgery to get in and remove the tumor. Please speak to your father's doctor for more information.

Nearby Neurologists

Other Neurologists