ZocdocAnswersWhy does my eye doctor think I need a neuro-ophthalmology consultation?

Question

Why does my eye doctor think I need a neuro-ophthalmology consultation?

I do not know what this consultation will do, but I did recently lose vision in one eye.

Answer

Vision is a complex process. It requires the synergistic function of numerous parts of the body. Vision is also an important function that can be easily disrupted. I would recommend that you follow you eye doctor's recommendation and see a neuro-opthamologist. Vision requires input from the eyeball itself, along with nerves that relay the images to the brain. Various parts in the brain are responsible with processing the image, and ultimately the visual representation is displayed on the occipital (back) lobe. Therefore, an injury in any part of the system can cause visual loss. If your ophthalmologist (eye doctor) does not feel that the eye ball itself is responsible for the visual loss, he or she may be concerned that the nerves or the brain is causing the visual loss. A neuro-opthamologist specializes in the nerves and brain centers responsible for vision. Visual loss in one eye often means that the nerve known as the optic nerve is damaged. Nerve damage can occur for many reasons. Some of these are permanent, but some are reversible and therefore require urgent evaluation by a neuro-ophthalmologist. In addition, some of these causes of nerve damage are signs of severe brain diseases. Diagnosing the reason for vision loss can be important for many reasons.