ZocdocAnswersIs neuroblastoma treatment painful?

Question

Is neuroblastoma treatment painful?

I have a very low pain tolerance. Will I be under for the treatment?

Answer

A diagnosis of cancer can be one of the most difficult pieces of news to hear from a physician. You should discuss all of your questions and concerns about your disease management and the specific details of your treatment with your oncologist. He or she can help provide additional information as well as directing you to resources to help support patients and families through this difficult time. When it comes to the specifics of neuroblastoma treatment, most patients receive a combination of different treatment modalities, including chemotherapy, surgery, radiation, and sometimes even stem cell transplants. Each of these treatment modalities does have uncomfortable or painful side effects, but one of the main goals in cancer treatment is to help patients manage these side effects. Whether in an inpatient or outpatient setting, the physicians and nurses who will be overseeing your care will be paying very close attention to your comfort, both mentally and physically. There are many different medications that can be used to treat pain, nausea, fatigue, or anxiety that often accompany cancer treatment. Different combinations of medications work differently for individual patients, so it will be important for you to communicate with your team so they can help keep you as comfortable as possible during this time.