Is neuroblastoma treatment needed for a child whose parents have had the treatment?

Can I pass it down to my child? Will he have it in the future?
Neuroblastoma is one of the most common solid tumors that children can develop. Sometimes this type of tumor can be cured through surgery alone, and other times it requires both surgery and chemotherapy. Most neuroblastomas develop for reasons that are not that clear. Some occur because of a gene that is inherited. Thus most likely, your child will not get a neuroblastoma, but he or she is probably at slightly higher risk for one on average. No treatment should be given to a child unless a neuroblastoma is actually diagnosed. If you have more than one family member that has developed neuroblastoma, then you should consider getting genetic testing. This will be able to tell you if your child is susceptible to developing one of these tumors. I suggest that you schedule an appointment for your child to see his pediatrician. His pediatrician will likely ask you some questions about your child's symptoms and perhaps about your family history. In addition, he or she will perform a comprehensive physical exam on your child. If nothing is found on exam, and your child is not exhibiting any of the classic symptoms, then the doctor will likely recommend routine follow up visits. If something is found on exam, then the doctor may send your child for a CAT scan. Good luck.

Nearby Pediatricians

Other Pediatricians