ZocdocAnswersShould those in need of cognitive rehab have a neuropsychology evaluation?

Question

Should those in need of cognitive rehab have a neuropsychology evaluation?

I'm 34 and have been in cognitive rehab for the past six months. Should I also have a neuropsychology evaluation?

Answer

A little more information would be beneficial to help answer your question best. What are the reasons you are currently in cognitive rehab? Have you sustained a neurological injury such as traumatic brain injury or suffered a stroke? How do you feel that your neurological and cognitive states have been over the last six months? Have you had improvement, decline or stable neurological status? What concerns do you have regarding your neurological status that have prompted to your inquire about neuropsychology evalutions? The answers to these questions, along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam will help your primary care doctor or neurologist decide upon whether or not a neuropsychology assessment is appropriate and necessary. They may also recommend some further imaging studies if these have not already been done depending on what was the cause of the original concerns. In general, neuropsychologists have a very important role when it comes to a subset of the population and when treating certain disorders. Talk to your primary care doctor or neurologist. They are in the position to make this decision as they know your medical history best.