ZocdocAnswersWill I need a non-surgical follow up after treating my toenail fungus with a laser?

Question

Will I need a non-surgical follow up after treating my toenail fungus with a laser?

How long will it take before I can see the fungus go away?

Answer

Laser therapy is a very new strategy to combating toenail fungus, approved by the FDA in recent years. It joins topical (cream) therapy and oral (pill) therapy among the main therapies to combat toenail fungus. It is a very new therapy, developed and approved only in the last few years, and should be practiced only be licensed professionals. Laser therapy uses laser light to kill the fungus in the nailbed, but it does not correct the already damaged nail itself. Therefore, it can take weeks to months to notice any improvement, as the new, uninfected nail grows in. It is too early to say precisely how effective this treatment will be, but it is safe to say that it will not work for everyone. Risks from the procedure include damage to surrounding healthy tissues, infection, and failure to cure the fungus / poor cosmetic outcome. If you undergo laser therapy, the doctor who performs the procedure will certainly want to see you in a follow-up appointment, to assess whether you have had a good response to the therapy, whether you will require additional courses, and whether you have had any of the aforementioned complications.