ZocdocAnswersWill I need surgery to correct my deviated septum?

Question

Will I need surgery to correct my deviated septum?

I am a 23 year old woman and I have trouble breathing through my nose. I'd like to get this fixed but I don't want surgery. Are there any toher options?

Answer

There are plenty of options for treatment, but when you are having trouble breathing through your nose, it is important to at least discuss your concerns with an ear-nose-and throat surgeon (aka otolaryngologist). The primary reasons for having surgery on your nose are either because you are having difficulty breathing or because of cosmetic concerns. Given that you are having difficulty breathing, you obviously have some reason to see a surgeon. A surgery to fix your septum might not be the answer, however, and it would depend on what else you have done previously. Many people find that allergy medications, either over the counter or prescribed, can help them to breathe better. Your surgeon will thus ask you about your symptoms and past medical and allergic history. He or she will also do a physical examination to look for any obvious masses or findings that might lead to difficulty breathing. A deviated septum can sometimes be a cause of difficulty breathing, and might occasionally require surgery for correction, but only a qualified surgeon would be able to tell you if surgery would be right for you. Please speak to an ear-nose-and throat surgeon about your question.