ZocdocAnswersShould I seek a nutrition consultation before starting my diet plan?

Question

Should I seek a nutrition consultation before starting my diet plan?

I am a 25 year old male and I would like to lose weight. Is it worth a consultation? I don't want to just hear what I already know - eat more vegetables and less fat, etc etc.

Answer

Losing weight requires a concerted effort to change your diet and increase your exercise levels to achieve a healthy weight. it is recommended that you discuss any diet or exercise regimen with your primary care doctor before starting a diet or exercise routine because he or she will be able to evaluate you and ensure that you are safe to undergo these stresses from a cardiovascular and pulmonary standpoint. They may also be able to direct you to a nutrition consultant or physical therapist who can help you with your goals. Studies have shown that supports groups are very good at helping you stay motivated on your goals related to weight loss. Regardless of how you decide to lose weight, it is important to consult your primary care doctor first because they will be able to assess you for safety and also guide you towards the appropriate people to help you on your goal. Aside from the health benefits of weight loss there are many benefits related to your mood and energy level, and so the overall benefits are far more than just weight loss alone.