ZocdocAnswersWill a nutrition follow up help me stay on my diet?

Question

Will a nutrition follow up help me stay on my diet?

I am 22 and having a hard time sticking to the ride foods.

Answer

In general, nutrition consults can be very helpful for learning the basics of food sciences such as what the estimated calorie content and fat content are on a variety of foods, as well as healthy and tasty food combinations to consider when on a diet. Before starting on a diet, it is important that you discuss this with your primary care doctor as they will be able to evaluate your medical history and help educate you on proper diet and exercise options. They may also refer you to a dietitian who will be able to help with your diet further. Some dietitians can be very helpful in motivating you to stay on the diet that you are on, and working towards losing weight and obtaining your goal. Other helpful ways to keep you on the right track towards staying on your diet include joining support groups. Studies have shown that support groups are very good at keeping patients on their diets better than those who attempt to do it on their own. Variety is very important in trying to keep on your goal and for this reason dietitians can be very helpful. Also, it is important to remember that the positive changes that occur in your body after you lose the excess weight will not only improve your health, but your mood and confidence. These are all important things to think about when tempted to stray from your diet.