Could a nutrition follow up tell me why I'm not gaining weight?

I work out all the time but I can't get my weight up. Is this something to talk about with a family doctor or what?
Not being able to gain wait is a completely different type of problem from not being able to lose weight. The problem of not being able to gain weight usually stems from one of two issues. First some people (especially young people or those that are physical active) consistently burn as many calories as they take in. If you are working out to gain muscle weight, and you are not being successful, then seeing a dietitian to help with choosing the right foods may be helpful. When someone presents to me with the inability to gain weight, or with unintentional weight loss, then I always want to look for conditions that could cause it. For example, cancer and certain types of infections can cause weight loss. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your diet, the amount and type of exercise that you are doing, and your goals for your weight and level of fitness. Your doctor will want to make sure that your problem does not represent an underlying disease. Once that is certain, then your doctor may refer you to a dietitian for a consultation on healthy weight gain. Good luck.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Martin Glynn
    Dr. Martin Glynn MD
    1525 South Church Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37130
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043