ZocdocAnswersHow often should a woman have an OB/GYN consultation?

Question

How often should a woman have an OB/GYN consultation?

I am a 27 year old woman and I stopped going annually a few years ago. Is this bad for a woman my age?

Answer

A women your age should have annual (once per year) evaluations by an OBGYN, or a primary care physician that performs women's health regularly. This is important for multiple reasons. The most important reason why you should see an OBGYN yearly is for your annual PAP smears. The PAP smear is the test done to look for abnormal cells on your cervix. These abnormal cells are extremely common and can become cervical cancer if not followed appropriately. Yearly PAP smears ensure that if you develop some abnormalities, that they will be dealt with sooner rather than when it is too late. In addition, your OBGYN will be able to examine you for ovarian cysts or any other abnormality of the female reproductive system. This is important if you plan on having (more) kids some day. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can listen to any symptoms you may be having and perform a pelvic exam with a PAP smear. This way you can make sure that you are up to date on your cervical cancer screening. Most OBGYNs will also screen for other STDs, even if you don't have any signs or symptoms (just to be safe). I hope that answer helped.