Will an OB/GYN consultation tell me about my long periods?

I recently started having long periods. Will a consultation tell me why.
An OBGYN consultation is a perfect way for you to figure out why your periods are long. When patients say they are having long periods, they can mean one of two things. You may mean that your cycles are getting further and further a part, or you may mean that the menstrual (bleeding) portion of your cycle is getting longer. I am going to guess that you mean the latter and that your problem is excessive bleeding (I apologize if I am wrong). If this is the case, then you will need a workup for the different causes of menorrhagia (the medical term for excessive menstrual bleeding). Excessive menstrual bleeding can be caused by issues withing the uterus. For example, a common cause of menorrhagia is uterine fibroids. These are benign tumors that grow on the outside of the uterus and can cause heavy, long periods. Another cause of menorrhagia is endometriosis. This is where the inner lining of the uterus begins growing in areas outside the uterus such as the fallopian tubes. This can cause heavy periods that are very painful. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can take detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. You may need a pelvic ultrasound at that visit. Hopefully, your doctor will get to the bottom of it soon. Good luck.

Nearby OB-GYNs