ZocdocAnswersWill an oculoplastic surgery consultation help my sagging eyelids look better?

Question

Will an oculoplastic surgery consultation help my sagging eyelids look better?

My eyelids sag A LOT. I think this will help. What should I know beforehand?

Answer

Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery can have very good results when the appropriate patient is selected for the procedure. Even though I cannot examine you to tell you exactly what is going on in your particular case, I would recommend a consultation with a facial aesthetic surgeon. There are multiple different routes that you can go, and I think that any of them are good options for you as far as an initial consultation. Oculoplastics, facial plastics, and general plastics surgeons that all perform both functional and aesthetic blepharoplasty. There are a couple of key points that are important when evaluating someone pre-operatively for potential blepharoplasty. The first question that one must ask is are the patients concerns functional (i.e. obstructed vision fields), or purely aesthetic. Commonly these two overlap. Plus there is a difference between upper lid blephs and lower lid blephs. The vast majority of lower lid blephs are done for aesthetic reasons. Upper lid blephs as I have already alluded to are commonly performed due to visual field obstruction from the sagging skin along the lateral aspect of the eyes. For this reason, as part of your initial consultation, I would not be surprised if the surgeon performs visual field testing, or orders the testing. Most insurances will cover an upper lid bleph if there is obvious visual field obstruction from the dermatochalasis (excess eyelid skin). I hope that this is informative, and it gives you an idea about where to start. Best of luck.