ZocdocAnswersWho should have an ophthalmic pathology consultation?

Question

Who should have an ophthalmic pathology consultation?

I'm 24 and have troubles with my eyes. Am I eligible for this consultation?

Answer

Unfortunately, it is difficult to ascertain from your question what exactly these troubles are that you are having with regards to your eyes? Do you have double vision or blurry vision? have you had a progressive decline in your vision? Do you have eye pain or dry eye symptoms that are irritating you? Have these symptoms changed or worsened recently, or have they been stable for a while? Are your eyes red and painful? These are questions that you should consider and discuss with your ophthalmologist, as he or she will best be able to evaluate you for these concerns and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include imaging tests or lab tests and perhaps a referral to a specialist. Ophthalmic pathologists may not be the first person they recommend that you see. Many times, the ophthalmologist will be able to diagnose the problem and treat you accordingly depending on what they find. When it comes to urgent eye issues, if you have any concerns with your vision that have occurred in a short period of time, then depending on the issue it may be something that is medically concerning and require you to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist on an urgent basis, such as in an emergency room.