ZocdocAnswersWho performs an ophthalmic pathology evaluation?

Question

Who performs an ophthalmic pathology evaluation?

Is it doen by an optometrist or a different specialist? I have beeen having failing vision. I'm 54.

Answer

The answer to your question depends on many factors. An optometrist is a doctor who has gone to a special school just for vision. The bulk of what they do is vision testing and fitting people with the right type of vision correction prescription. That is not all they do. They also help to treat vision problems that have been caused by medical problems such as diabetes. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who has done extra training in the eye. This type of doctor treats many eye diseases and conditions that may or may not directly have to do with vision. An ophthalmologist is a surgeon who is able to perform laser and classic surgical procedures to help with some of the more challenging eye conditions. Your failing vision could be due to natural changes in your eyes that could be handled by an optometrist or it could be due to an eye disease that requires a surgeon. Since I cannot tell from your question what you may have going on with your eyes, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will be able to listen to your description of your symptoms and perform a simple eye exam and simple vision test. From there, your doctor will know what type of specialist you would benefit from the most. Good luck.