ZocdocAnswersWill an ophthalmologic electrophysiology evaluation explain why my eyes are so sensitive to light?

Question

Will an ophthalmologic electrophysiology evaluation explain why my eyes are so sensitive to light?

I am a 27 year old male and every time I drive at night I see circles everywhere around light sources. Will this evaluation tell me why.

Answer

There could be a great deal of possibilities associated with why you would be having these symptoms and some more information would be very helpful. For instance, have you noticed any problems with your vision, such as blurry vision, double vision or decrease in your vision? Has this been a problem that you have always had or has this occurred relatively suddenly? Have you ever had any problems like this before? The answers to these questions, along with your medical history, presenting symptoms. and clinical exam will help your primary care doctor decide upon the appropriate work up for you. This may include lab tests, imaging studies or perhaps a referral to a specialist. There could be many causes for the symptoms you are describing, including the possibility that this may be totally normal for you. It is best to discuss this with your primary care doctor first, though, because he or she will best be able to diagnose what the problem is and decide whether further work up is necessary. It is also important to remember that you should be safe at all times when driving, and if your vision is at all compromised at night, you should discuss this with your primary care doctor prior to driving at night anymore.