ZocdocAnswersWill I have to come back to the dentist after having my wisdom teeth removed for an oral surgery follow up?

Question

Will I have to come back to the dentist after having my wisdom teeth removed for an oral surgery follow up?

My wisdom teeth were removed and I am now recovering. What will I need to do if omething goes wrong?

Answer

During your initial consultation, your dentist will likely have discussed the risks and benefits of the procedure and what the things to look for are with regards to possible issues that may arise (infections, bleeding, etc). They may also have told you if and when they want to have you follow up for a check up after the oral surgery. If there is nothing that is concerning or worsening, then it is likely ok to wait for the check up to see your dentist. On the other hand, if you notice any changes, fevers, chills, worsening pain by the wisdom teeth, excessive bleeding at the sites or purulent discharge, these are things to be concerned about and let your dentist know as soon as possible for further evaluation. It is important that you discuss any concerns that you have with your dentist because it is important to keep the lines of communication open when you have had a recent procedure. If there is something that you notice that is of concern, it is best to discuss this with your dentist as he or she will also likely want to know what issues you may be experiencing.