Is an orthodontic consultation good for someone who is about to get braces?

I am getting braces when I turn 22 next month and would like to know if I need an orthodontic consultation. Thank you.
Dental braces are devices used to help align and straighten teeth as well as helping position them in regards to a person's bite. Braces can be either cosmetic or structural. Orthodontists are specially trained dentists and they are the type of doctors who you see when your dentist tells you you need braces. I would recommend talking to your dentist as well as friends and family members to get a recommendation for a board certified orthodontist in your area with a good reputation. At your consultation the orthodontist will examine your teeth and mouth and likely take x-rays (or look at ones you had done elsewhere) and discuss what he or she feels is the best treatment plan for you. There are different types of braces and depending on the reason for your need for braces the length of time that you will need to have them on varies greatly. Make sure to discuss how long you will need to have them on and also if you will need retainers afterwards. It is also important to discuss cost and possible insurance coverage as braces can be very expensive. Make sure that the orthodontist you see for a consultation answers all your questions and makes you feel comfortable. Good luck!

Other Orthodontists