ZocdocAnswersShould I have a pain medicine consultation to learn about hydrocodone interactions?

Question

Should I have a pain medicine consultation to learn about hydrocodone interactions?

I'm 21 and worried about taking hydrocodone and mixing with my diet, supplements, etc.

Answer

Hydrocodone is a narcotic pain medicine that is used to treat pain due to an injury, a recent operation, and a few other causes of pain. It is considered to be a mild narcotic pain killer lacking the same potency as oxycodone, morphine, and hydromorphone. It is a very commonly prescribed medication and in general is safe for most people (in the short term). It usually comes in a pill that also contains Tylenol (called Vicodin, or Lortab). Hydrocodone has very few (if any) dietary and supplement interactions. The big exception to that is alcohol. You should not consume any alcohol while on this medication. For the most part, hydrocodone is a simple medication that does not require a specialist to prescribe. I don't think a pain medicine consultation is necessary unless you end up needing to take medicines like this more than a few weeks. Instead, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with the doctor that prescribed the hydrocodone or with your primary care physician. He or she can give you information on hydrocodone's likely benefits in your situation, and risks including interaction with other drugs, side effects, and risk of driving or using alcohol while on it. Good luck.