Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Will my psychologist talk to me about parenting counseling?"

ZocdocAnswersWill my psychologist talk to me about parenting counseling?


Who should I talk to about getting some help parenting? Child psychologist?


Raising a child is a very stressful job for many reasons. One of the most stressful things about it is that there is no one way to do it, or one simple answer about how to address all of the concerns that come up. For that reason, it is important to have a strong network of people and resources that you can turn to for help and also advice. Traditionally, family has filled a large part of that gap, providing both advice and help when things got tough. The modern world has seen some decrease in this method, and so parents are having to construct networks using alternative methods. For specific advice that has been, generally, founded on scientific principles, your pediatrician is a good place to start. He or she will be able to provide you with answers about how to discipline, what and when to expect your child to be able to say or do, and especially about health and diet concerns. For other concerns about how to react to your child's choices, he or she will be able to recommend either psychiatrists or psychologists, or other professionals, on a case by case basis. Please speak to your pediatrician.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.