ZocdocAnswersWhere can I learn more about parenting counseling?

Question

Where can I learn more about parenting counseling?

Are there groups I can attend? I am 20 and just had my first baby. While this isn't a very young age, I do not know many other people who have children and I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Answer

There are many parenting counseling groups that you may consider attending and there are many studies that show that group discussions and counseling are very good at improving your understanding of the potential issues as well as improve your ability to learn good parenting skills. It is recommended that you discuss this with your primary care doctor first as he or she may be able to lead you in the correct direction in regards to what types of meetings might be best for you in regards to the concerns you have, the issues that your child may have. and the groups that may be most appropriate for you and your child. Your PCP will likely have a list of counseling groups and parent groups available in your area and this is a great starting point. They may also be able to give you some information and tips because they are often treating many of the conditions that you may be facing, and are asked many of the same questions that you are concerned about on a daily basis. In general, parenting classes are good for confidence building for you and your child, great for motivation and also a good way to meet others in similar situations as you.