ZocdocAnswersWho should I contact at the first sign of Parkinson's issues?

Question

Who should I contact at the first sign of Parkinson's issues?

My father seems to be shaking a little more each day. Who should I take him to see?

Answer

The first step is to be evaluated by your primary care doctor who will assess your father's medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam and perform the appropriate work up based on the information provided. This may include lab tests, imaging studies and perhaps a referral to a specialist depending on what is found. In general, there are a variety of symptoms that together constitute a diagnosis of Parkinson's. For this reason, based on the shaking or tremors that you noticed, it may not necessarily be related to a diagnosis of Parkinson's disease. On the other hand, if he displays not only signs of tremors but some of the associated symptoms, then your primary care doctor may be concerned and recommend further work up. The only way to know would be to bring him to your primary care doctor for further evaluation. Fortunately, there are many treatment options available to alleviate some of the symptoms if Parkinson's disease including medications that decrease some of the dystonia and bradykinesia that patients suffer from as well as surgical treatments that stimulate areas within the brain and also decrease these symptoms. Talk to your, who PCP can tell you more about available treatment options.