ZocdocAnswersDo we need a pediatric consultation for her cough?

Question

Do we need a pediatric consultation for her cough?

My 10 month old has been coughing pretty regularly for about 10 days, and it doesn't seem to be improving. Should we get help or no?

Answer

Any time your son or daughter develops a new symptom such as a cough, you should always take them to see their pediatrician. A cough in a young child and have several different causes. If the child is running a low grade fever along with the cough, then he or she may have a viral upper respiratory tract infection. Sometimes these infections can cause an ear infection along with the cough. With the weather changing, it is possible that your child has developed an allergy to something in the environment. If this is the case, then fluid running from the back of the nose can cause a nasty cough. Other viral or bacterial lower respiratory tract infections may be implicated. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your child's pediatrician. He or she will ask you specific questions about your child's symptoms and will perform a thorough physical exam. If a bacterial infection such as an ear infection is found, then your child may benefit from a short course of antibiotics. If a viral upper respiratory tract infection is suspected, then you child will feel better with time. Finally, if seasonal allergies are suspected, then your child may benefit from a referral to see an allergy specialist.