Should my child have a pediatric dental consultation for fillings?

What is the point if his teeth are going to fall out soon?
I would recommend that you have your child see a dentist. More specifically, a pediatric dentist is a dentist who specializes in teeth maintenance and treatment in children. Baby teeth, or primary teeth, will fall out over late childhood. These temporary or deciduous teeth are important for the child in order to allow for normal biting and mouth hygiene. If your child's teeth look like they have cavities and may require filling, it is unlikely that the dentist will place a filling. That being said there is still a very important need to see the dentist. Firstly, it is important to evaluate the teeth. Cavities are not extremely common in primary teeth and therefore anything that looks abnormal should be evaluated. Secondly, introducing appropriate tooth maintenance is very important at an early age. If your child is developing problems with their teeth early, it then becomes even more important to teach appropriate tooth care. The third reason to see the dentist is because tooth abnormalities can become painful. If there is a problem with the teeth in a young child, he or she can change their eating and chewing pattern and thereby cause long term problem with their chewing. As such, treating abnormalities before they become painful or impactful is important. I would recommend a dental consultation.

Other Pediatric Dentists