ZocdocAnswersAt what age should I schedule pediatric eye consultations to ensure my child's vision is good?

Question

At what age should I schedule pediatric eye consultations to ensure my child's vision is good?

Should it be annual like it is for adults or more often because they're younger? She is 8.

Answer

Vision is a complex process that requires many parts of the eye, nerves and brain to work together. Vision is also an extremely important ability that we often worry about. I would recommend that you discuss this with your child's pediatrician. He or she can do a first pass assessment, and subsequently (if necessary) refer you to a pediatric ophthalmologist. To answer your question: it depends. Every child should have vision checks at regularly scheduled visits with their pediatrician. This screening should occur in order to pick up visual disturbances before they become clinically apparent. If you pediatrician notices some abnormality with testing, they will refer you to an ophthalmologist (eye specialist). The normal testing is using a Snellen Chart (the visual chart with letters of various sizes). That being said, if you notice or your child complains of visual problems, this should warrant urgent evaluation. If you have concerns, talk to you pediatrician --- but without any complaints their is no need for more urgent consultation. Vision in children is very important. The brain develops in response to the visual signals, therefore abnormal vision can cause for abnormal brain development. Luckily, by the age of eight most of the brain's visual centers are developed. Talk to your pediatrician for more information. Good luck!