ZocdocAnswersMy body seems to be having difficulty fighting simple infections. Should I be concerned?

Question

My body seems to be having difficulty fighting simple infections. Should I be concerned?

I have taken care of these issues as I would normally do. Like, topical ointments,(neosporin) and covered them at times with band aids. Eventually they heal, but seem to take a rather long time than usual.

Answer

Infections are a common occurrence that we all experience at various times in our lives. Our bodies have therefore developed strategies and systems to fight these infections in a thorough manner. If you are concerned that you are not fighting infections normally, I would recommend seeing your doctor. Your primary care doctor can begin the work up refer you to a specialist if required. The body has developed a sophisticated immune system in order to battle the common infections. Infections can be caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi and a few other minor pathogens and therefore our immune system has developed to fight all of these. The immune system is comprised of numerous parts: the first and possibly most important part of the immune system is the skin. After that the, the body has many different types of "white cells" that float around in the blood to fight infections. There are other components of the body like lymph nodes and the spleen that also fight infection. If there is a problem in any part of the immune system, than recurrent infections or slow healing infections can form. Your doctor can examine your skin and blood contents in order to determine if there is an "immune disorder." While this is likely not a problem, see your doctor if you are concerned.