ZocdocAnswersShould my kid get a pediatric hematology consultation if his cuts take a while to heal?

Question

Should my kid get a pediatric hematology consultation if his cuts take a while to heal?

Anytime my son scrapes his knee it takes forever to stop the bleeding and Ive read that this can be a hematology issue, is this what I should do?

Answer

Cuts and scrapes that take a prolonged time to stop can be a sign of a blood abnormality. As such, a pediatric hematologist can help. However, prior to seeing him or her, I would recommend talking to your primary pediatrician first. Your pediatrician can start the evaluation to determine if there is a blood abnormality. There are other causes that could be identified (or it could be not an issue but just normal) and a hematologist would not be helpful in that case. Therefore, start with your pediatrician. You are completely correct that blood issues can present with prolonged cuts. The blood has two main parts: the platelets (or blood cells responsible for clotting) and the clotting factors (the proteins in the blood that cause clotting). Both platelets and clotting factors are necessary for normal clots to form and either can part can have problems. For platelets, a decreased number of decreased function of the platelets can cause problems -- and a simple blood test by your pediatrician can check this. As for factors, again a decreased number or function can cause problems, and again simple tests can evaluate this. The most common cause would by ITP or idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura in children. There are many other causes that your doctor should evaluate. Talk to your pediatrician before seeing a hematologist. Good luck!