Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Should penis malformations be treated?"


Can they be left alone? They think there is somethingthe matter with my sons epididymis?


Things to consider include does your son have any problems with urinating or with decreased flow? Is it a problem with where the urethra is located or a bend or disfiguration within the penis itself? These are things to discuss with your child's urologist as he or she will be able to evaluate his medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam and decide upon the appropriate work up. Depending on what is found, he or she may decide that this malformation may be ok to observe, or may decide that your son may benefit from surgical intervention. Sometimes, these malformations may be cosmetically unattractive and so it may be decided that your son would benefit from surgery if it will help cosmetically.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Urologists near you

It is important to discuss your questions and concerns regarding his penis malformation, as well as the risks and benefits associated with treatment versus observation with your child's pediatrician. In general, sometimes these malformations can improve with age or time, and may not need any surgical intervention. On the other hand, there are situations where these malformations may get worse with time. It is important to discuss this further with your urologist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.