ZocdocAnswersShould I seek a periodontal consultation for my bleeding gums?

Question

Should I seek a periodontal consultation for my bleeding gums?

I am a 24 year old male and my gums have been bleeding every day for about two years. What should I do?

Answer

The best place to start with bleeding gums is your dentist. In general, it is recommended that you see a dentist twice a year for regular cleanings and exams. This is important to make sure that you don't develop problems with your teeth (plaque, cavities, alignment problems) but also to keep your gums healthy. If you aren't regularly having professional cleanings and brushing and flossing on your own on a regular basis, it is quite possible that you will develop gum disease which can lead to bleeding gums. In general, it is recommended that you brush your teeth after meals and floss one or two times a day. Your dentist or dental hygienist can instruct you in the right technique for both brushing and flossing, as this is important to ensure that you are adequately removing plaque and helping keep your gums healthy. When your gums are not being routinely flossed, it is possible for them to become very sensitive and inflamed which can lead to the bleeding your mention. In some cases a periodontal consultation may be required, but the best place to start is your regular dentist. He or she can help determine whether the specialist is required *and* help make a referral to a good provider.