ZocdocAnswersWhat will the doctor discuss at my periodontal follow up?

Question

What will the doctor discuss at my periodontal follow up?

I have to get a followup for a small surgery for my gums where they took tissue from the roof of my mouth. Everything looks and feels fine, so what's the point of going back?

Answer

It sounds like the type of procedure you had was to remove some tissue from the roof of your mouth and graft this over your gums. This is often done in cases of severe gum infection or inflammation or in conditions in which the gums are pulling back from your teeth and exposing the tooth roots. Regarding your question about whether or not you should go back for your followup appointment, the answer is absolutely yes! Although these grafting procedures are relatively common and usually are very well tolerated, there can be several complications. These can include infections of the graft or of the site where the graft tissue was removed, incomplete adherence of the graft, or scarring of the graft which results in pulling away from the teeth. All of these are complications which only your dentist or periodontist is capable of adequately assessing. It would be a shame to have gone through all of the trouble of having this procedure done only to find that it is not going as well as you would like. In the future, you will also need to stick to a regular schedule of dental cleanings and checkups to make sure this condition does not recur.