Is a periodontal follow up needed if my gingivitis is mild?

Hi. I am a 27 year old female with very early stages of gingivitis, they said in my appointment. Does this require a followup or can I just work on it myself?
A little more information would be helpful to better answer your question. Do you have any problems with bleeding in your gums? Have you noticed pain in your teeth when eating or drinking hot or cold items? Do you have any discolored or loose teeth? Do you have problems with bad breath? Do you practice proper dental hygiene including brushing and flossing regularly? These are important questions to consider and discuss with your dental professional as he or she will take the answers to these questions, along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include lab tests or imaging studies and perhaps a referral to a specialist depending on what is found. In general, if you have been diagnosed with gingivitis, it is important that you continue to follow regularly with your dentist or other dental professional, as this has the potential to worsen. Depending on the level of gingivitis and your dentist's concern, he or she may want to follow you every six months or possibly sooner depending on what is found. It is important that you have these discussions with your dentist as he or she will know the answers to these questions best,.

Other Dentists