ZocdocAnswersWill I be able to see different nose options at my plastic surgery consultation?

Question

Will I be able to see different nose options at my plastic surgery consultation?

I want to have a lot of control over the choices they make.

Answer

Rhinoplasty is an elective procedure. It is a procedure in which the nose is reconstructed for cosmetic reasons, for restoration of function of the nose, for treatment of nasal trauma, for correction of congenital birth defects and etc. There are two different ways to perform a rhinoplasty. It can be done as a closed procedure which means that there are no outward appearing scars, all incisions are made on the inside of the nose. It can also be done as an open procedure meaning there is a small incision on the skin. Rhinoplasty is usually performed by an ear, nose and throat surgeon, a facial plastic surgeon or a general plastic surgeon. Most plastic surgeons will take photographs of the patient before and serially after the surgery. It is possible to review the photographs prior to your surgery and to discuss the different options and different things you would like changed. Each rhinoplasty procedure is tailored to the patient's anatomy and patient desires and wishes, thus you can have some control over what you would like changed. It is important to discuss your wishes with your surgeon prior to undergoing surgery and to discuss what outcomes you desire for having this surgery. Please do so.