We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Will pneumonia go away on its own?

I am 25 and have been reading onlnie, prety sure I have pneumonia. Will bed rest be enough to get rid of it?
Pneumonia is the term we use to describe an infection within the tissues of the lung. The infection can be caused by bacteria, viruses, or even in rare cases fungi. The treatment for pneumonia depends on which agent is causing the infection. Many cases of pneumonia are viral. A viral pneumonia can make you feel pretty sick for a few days with fever, cough, and generalized fatigue. Viral pneumonia goes away on its own. Bacterial pneumonia, if left untreated can make someone a lot sicker. Without antibiotics bacterial pneumonia can result in a blood infection, or even an abscess in the lung. Both of these are considered life threatening illnesses. Thus, if you are having symptoms of pneumonia, you should be evaluated by a doctor right away. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor). He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. If your doctor is concerned about pneumonia, you may need to get a chest x-ray. If the chest x-ray shows an area of infection, you will need to take antibiotics. Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021