Can polycystic ovaries cause heavy menstrual bleeding?

Hi. I am a 24-year-old female with very heavy periods. Could this be due to polycycstic ovaries?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS, which is what I think you are referring to) is a complex endocrine and reproductive system disorder in which women develop irregular periods, trouble with being overweight, diabetes, and some other issues. Women with PCOS can have heavy periods, but they usually complain of how irregular they are before there is any mention of how heavy they are. If your periods are regular, then I would say that you should look elsewhere for the reason for your heavy periods. If your periods are irregular, then you can probably be assessed for PCOS. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss your periods (frequency, amount of bleeding, etc). It would be helpful if you brought in a calendar of your cycles over the past few months if you have that. In addition, your doctor will ask you how many tampons or pads you are using in a day. This is roughly how we gauge the level of bleeding. Your doctor will also want to draw blood to make sure that your bleeding has not made you anemic, and to make sure that your blood clotting function is normal. Finally, you may need an ultrasound of your uterus to look for any abnormalities that could explain why your periods are so heavy. Good luck.